Wednesday, January 4, 2012

First Lego Helmet Casting.

Finally got the kinks worked out of my helmet casting. My first mold was too complicated and trapped air to much. Only after I spent a week working on that mold did I bother to look on the net for a tutorial and found this amazingly helpful one on the Minifig Customization Network.

I just followed that how to and used materials I was familiar with. For the mold i used Smooth On Dragon Skin Q though if I was to buy the material again I would have picked Oomoo 25. For casting I used Smooth Cast 300. I had a bit of trouble with a few early batches not setting up right when casting but I think I had some residue in my recycled mochi cups that I was mixing in stopping the compound from setting properly.

So now that I can make helmet dupes my next step is to model my own and cast them. I cant wait :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I know it's been a while you did this but as Minifig Customization Network doesn't exist anymore, could you please explain how did you that?
    Thanks,
    Celine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You kmow what, starwars series always bring interesting experiences for users

    ReplyDelete